14 November 2002

One of my students never takes notes in class, mostly pays attention, although sometimes he puts his head down and sleeps. He is one of my favorite students, actually. He is intellectually extremely gifted, he is incredibly mature in so many ways, and still a child in so many others. I personally like him and want the best for him. He said to me one day in response to my query about a project he didn't turn in that he was taking the class for the pursuit of knowledge and not just for the grade. If it were any other student I would say that he was trying to pull one over on me. With this student, I would say that I probably believe that about 85%. Maybe 80%. It's only a small part bull and the rest of it is the truth. However, that doesn't prevent me from worrying about him and his performance in class. He did amazingly well on the first test, especially considering that he told me he didn't study. So what's the problem? The problem is that I'm worried about him. He seems a little bit more sullen these last couple of classes. He's his normal ebullient self outside the classroom, but during class he is not. So I worry. Is he just tired? Not motivated? Not challenged enough by the material?
And there's the constant worry that I'm having such a hard time getting over: Could it be that he doesn't like me? Ths is an issue that I battle with a lot as a teacher. I know intellectually that it doesn't matter if they students don't like me. As long as I teach them. But I still can't seem to get over the feeling that some students don't like me, and it bothers me! Oy. It shouldn't bother me, I know it shouldn't. I really hope that's an issue that goes away with more experience teaching (this is my fourth year).

So, back to my student. I'm not sure what to do about it. My main concern is his inability to complete and turn in assignments. It's all fine and good if you do well on the tests, but if you don't turn in essays and projects, it's going to hurt your grade. He understands that, I know he does. And he seems willing to take the failing grade. Yet I still find myself worrying about it.

No comments: