06 September 2005

3...2...1...we have liftoff!!!

First day done! And successful, I would say. The computer equipments worked, our plans went ... well, as planned. Kids were on time to class, they were mostly curteous and seemingly eager to learn. One of the questions we asked the students was to tell us about their expectations for the year and the school, and the overwhelming response was that they wanted to continue to be in such a nice building, and they wanted to do well in school this year. They were determined to try to make a fresh start of it. Let's hope that stays!!

Some of you were amused by the fact that we had to sing for the parents and students last week. Don't you do enough for the students, I hear you cry? Well yes. But I really think having us stand up in our school shirts and sing the school song was a pretty powerful statement to the parents and students who were in the gym with us. There we all were, in one section of the bleachers, and so we were quite a sea of green polo shirts, I can imagine. I think that having us sing for the students and parents let them know that we were just as invested in the school and creating a community as they were. I think we are well on our way to creating a community.

However, I love stuff like that. Gets me a little teary, donchaknow?

What went really well today:

the bells all rang at the proper time
the clocks all were set to the same time
morning annoucements produced and read by students were ready to go
students were on time to class
students seemed eager to be there...even those students who wished for a longer summer vacation!

What didn't:

Frankly, can't really think of a thing, with the exception of attendance/students schedules. We had several students walk into class who weren't on our lists, several students who were on our lists who weren't in class today, and several different lists of students that didn't quite match up. I had one list that said two different pieces of information: "Students enrolled in class: 19...Students in course: 20". That was confusing. Schedules will be in flux for several days, I'm sure. I have found that schedules tend to be in flux the first few days of school no matter where, however.

I'm going to take my tired old bones on home. Wish me luck for the second day!

2 comments:

Sarcasmo said...

Good luck! Although it sounds like you won't need it.

Leslie said...

Jess,

Thought of you yesterday morning. While there will be 30 "first days of school" in your career, there will probably only be one "first day of school in newly opened school" days in your career. Sounds like it went well and that the shine is still on the experience.
As for the singing thing ... I like what you said about statement to the community, sense of comraderie. It's important and says 'this school is about something.'

L