09 June 2006

Catch the fever!

I admit to being a victim of World Cup fever. Not one to really watch much in the way of sporting events (I've been known to go to a baseball game once or twice a year, and I think I've actually been to one NBA game, oh, and of course the Harlem Globetrotters, that's more theatre than sport, isn't it?), I will acknowledge that I enjoy watching (true) football, and I do enjoy World Cup. I don't know that I will spend my time sitting in my living room watching the games on my own, because that's just not fun (and frankly, a bit sad). But if there's a chance to, I'll watch a few games with friends. I'm also excited to see that the Czech Republic is ranked two, right behind the standard number one team, Brazil.

To that end, here's a fun video clip about football. It includes footage of Brazilian player Ronaldinho, who apparently has his own Wikepedia entry.

I have several students from Central and South America, El Salvador and Uruguay in particular, who have been "feeling ill" since about Monday ... the football flu, as it were. They're actually cute about it. My advice to them was to not overdo it - the doctor's office is worse than school if your aim is to watch the games!

No comments: