08 June 2006

So much to do… Everyone keeps asking me if I’m all set to go. Well, the answer to that is a categorical HELL NO not yet!!

Here’s what’s on the agenda first:

1. Get my vaccinations. That’s today's fun. Right now, according to the CDC website, I should get the following vaccinations:

Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B – if having sexual contact with the local population…ummm…ok, no comment.
Japanese encephalitis – if visiting farms
Malaria – if traveling to a malaria-risky area. And there’s no vaccination, just get a prescription anti-malaria drug
Rabies – if extensive outdoor rural exposure
Typhoid
Tetanus, diphtheria, measles

I believe that this afternoon I will be getting three shots. I know I need tetanus, haven’t had one since college. I’m good on measles and diphtheria. I am not planning on having “extensive outdoor rural exposure”….In fact, those of you who know me know that I don’t really do rural. No, I’m a huge fan of indoor plumbing. Hooray for the flushing toilet! So no rabies needed. Not planning on farms, see above, so no Japanese encephalitis (there’s a specific Japanese one?), which leaves me with Hep A, typhoid and possibly malaria. I don’t know about that, but since it’s not a vaccination, that won’t be an issue shot-wise. I’m mostly worried about my reaction to the typhoid. Not sure why – I’ve never had any Hep shots, so not sure how my system will react to that either. Perhaps it’s the reactions I’ve been getting from my friends who have had these shots before when I say that I need a typhoid shot: “Oooh.” This is usually accompanied by a pained expression. One friend “got sick”. She didn’t say more than that.**

Now, if all goes well, maybe I’ll just show up at the travel clinic today and they’ll say “Oh, you only need this one”, and then I can go on my merry way. See, it’s not having a shot that I’m worried about. It’s all three at once that’s kind of freaking me out.

NOT ENCOURAGING!

2. Get the extra $1000. The guy who got the grant from Fulbright asked for $90,000, but only got $80,000, so there’s an extra bit that we need to pay for visa apps, entrance fees, etc. I have sent a letter of request to the PTSA. I understand they met last night to discuss my request. Let’s hope they thought kindly on me. And that whatever amount they come up with, my principal will find a way to cover the rest.***


3. I should probably see my doctor to get two things: antibiotics and sleeping pills. I don’t sleep on planes. I can sleep just fine in cars, but not planes. I also get very, very antsy and irritable towards the end of long flights. And by long, I’m talking flights to England. So now let’s just see…I believe that my last flight to England was 7.5 hours. I think my flight to China will be 14 hours. You see my dilemma? Anyway, I’m hoping that won’t necessitate a doctor’s visit, but I think it might.


Um, I’m leaving June 27. So there might not be time for number 3.


There’s more. Let’s get through number one first shall we?

**Update: got the skinny on the typhoid vaccination from a friend of mine who spent her stint in the Peace Corps in Lesotho. She has gotten vaccinations twice for typhoid, and she said both times she got ill from it – queasy and feverish, but that it wears off in a few hours. So I’m feeling a little bit less nervous about that shot. (just a little) Phew!

***Update: The PTSA came through! Well, on half, but awesome! Woohoo!!

No comments: